Monday, July 18, 2011

Egoscue and Starting Again

The menu I did this morning

A. You think I'm psycho because I keep starting and stopping Egoscue. 

B. You completely understand because you've been there too; life just gets so busy that Egoscue falls by the wayside. 

WELL, as of today, no more. The trick for me was to look at it as not something that I had to squeeze into my day quickly ("Ayayay do I really have to do 40 minutes of Egoscue before I sit at my desk in the morning? Where is the time?!"). Instead I said this to myself: "I want my body back. I want to be flexible again. I know I can get there. Every morning from 10:00-11:00 I am going to do Egoscue in a leisurely fashion, not rushing, and afterwards I will do some yoga or strength training to get strong again." 

You should see my little list I have taped onto the wood stove. It says this:

1 minute: goalie squats (going back and forth, knees bent, as if you were going to save a soccer goal)
30 seconds: squat thrusts
1 minute: jumping jacks
5 push-ups
10 leg lifts

You should see me huffing and puffing doing these things. But my plan is to do these daily so that they get easier and easier, at which point I will up the reps.

Not rushing = good.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are still doing Egoscue exercises. My right hip started bothering me in July 2011. I bought "Pain Free" and have been doing the hip e-cises every day since September. My hip still bothers me, but I am no longer limping like I was before. I figure it took me awhile to get out of alignment so it is going to take time to get back in alignment. Funny thing is that my back has not hurt since I started doing the hip e-cises!
    I started a Egoscue group on Google, but don't have any company yet!
    http://groups.google.com/group/egoscue-postural-alignment-method
    All the best in 2012.
    Dave Raftery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great Dave! Have you thought about getting an Egoscue therapist to help even more? I have a great reco for you if you're interested. He's in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was especially happy to find your blog because it seems that most info on Egoscue on the web comes from their own websites, and is almost all very positive, even miraculous. I'm coming to the end of four months of working with a trainer, doing the menu twice a day, and have gotten better-maybe a 30% improvement. Some improvement is better than none, but I don't know if it is worth continuing. I'll be following your news with interest. Thanks for putting this information out there.

    Byron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twice a day every day is amazing. I agree that some improvement is better than none. My body feels better when I am doing Egoscue daily. However, for me, it has proved hard to keep it up. My Tower is in my living room, waiting for me...even though I've not used it in months. I wish you well, and I know you'll find what you're looking for, as you sound determined! And that makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete